Monday, October 6, 2014

2014 St. George Book Festival Interview with Jaclyn Weist




Jaclyn Weist is an Idaho farm girl who adores reading. She met Steve at BYU and they have six crazy children that encourage her writing. After owning a bookstore and running away to Australia, they settled back down in Utah. Jaclyn now spends her days herding kids to various activities and trying to remember what she was supposed to do next.
 


When did you first know that you wanted to be a writer? 

~ I have wanted to be a writer since I was a little girl. There was a Young Authors contest in my school district and I entered every year.


 Where did the inspiration for The Princess and the Prom Queen come from?

~ I used to daydream that one day I would wake up and find out I was really a princess. It slowly morphed into the story it is now.


What made you choose to write a novel?

~ I wrote a story for a writing prompt in my writing group. The prompt was The worst day everand I asked myself What if someone had never had a bad day?I wrote it as a short story but had such a great reaction to it, I decided to attempt to make it into a novel. It soon became three books and a novella.

What is the main message or theme that you hope readers of this book come away from it with?

~ I want people to believe in themselves. The two main girls were forced into situations where they knew nothing about their surroundings and they rose to the occasion.


 Who is your favorite author?

~ Brandon Sanderson. The way he can tie the loose ends up at the end of his books is magical.

 Do you have a writing routine? A special pen, a certain type of music, time limits?

~ I listen to The Piano Guys on Pandora and do sprints with my friends. We set limits and write as much as we can in those time frames. Once the kids are in bed, I pull out snacks to help me stay awake and keep on going.

 Do you enjoy edits/rewrites, or not?

~ I like fixing the edits that other people have done for me. And I like editing other peoples books. I have a hard time editing my own.

Please tell us a little bit about your journey to publication:

~ I worked on my Stolen Luck book for over a year before joining a writing group. I also started working with people on the iWritenetwork chatroom. I had a few people read my book and they loved them. I was able to get that one published while I started on book two in the series. Its been a blur since then. I had five books published in the seven months after my first release.

What is the hardest part of being a writer? 

~ Confidence. Its easy to feel like everything weve written is junk. Sometimes you just want to roll up in a ball and give up.

Are there any common themes that you feel are particularly important to write about?

~ Strong families, and fighting past trials to become tougher.

When you're not writing, what are your other hobbies/passions?

~ I love to bake, sew, paint, read, and play with my kids.

 Are you working on any new projects?

Yes, I have a Cinderella book that will be published soon, and Im working on a Neverland book with my husband

Quick Fire round:

Coke or Pepsi?
Chocolate or Vanilla?
Rainy winter days or blazing hot summer days?
Hard Copy or e-book?
Favorite book? Lord of the Rings
Last book you read? Torn Canvas by Donna K Weaver
What's a quote that inspires you? 
What's your favorite comfort food?  Cheesecake

Come see all the exciting events planned at the St. George Book Festival October 20-25, 2014 at http://stgeorgebookfestival.org!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment