Wednesday, October 9, 2013

St. George Book Festival Author Interview with Lin Floyd



Lin Vernon Floyd, a local author and columnist for the Senior Sampler, enjoys spending her retirement writing non-fiction books and poetry. A life long genealogist who has written 50 or more family histories, Floyd feels that writing your life story gives you a voice.

What are three words that describe you? writer, teacher, mentor

Are you a morning person or a night owl? morning

What is your favorite food? hot homemade bread with real butter

Where do you dream of travelling to and why? I would like to explore England where many of my ancestors came from.

Do you listen to music while writing? I love new age music to set a mood.

What's your favorite book or who is your favorite writer? Self help books are my favorites, Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron has guided my path.

Can you tell us a bit about your latest manuscript? DISCOVER YOUR VOICE AFTER DIVORCE is my latest self published book. It’s a Writing Workbook for Healing and Recovery from any loss not just divorce. The guided exercises will take you through the stages of griefing and the original free verse poetry will help with the process. I also includes my original poetry.

What have you learned about writing and publishing since you first started? Marketing is the most difficult phase-I love the creating part.

Do you plan everything or just let the story flow? I write non-fiction so my books are guided by actual events and how to details.

Do your characters ever want to take over the story? Nope

Is there anything you would do differently? I’m happy with my efforts

Who, or what, if anything has influenced your writing? Belonging to critique groups and taking writing workshops has enlarged my viewpoint and helped me with developing my talents as a writer. I’m a member of  LUW and HWG. Also writing a weekly column has been great discipline in meeting deadlines.

Anything you would say to those just starting out in the craft? Enjoy the journey and don’t put your efforts down or self judge.

Blurb of your latest release or coming soon publication if any: RECOMMENDATION
Here's a recommendation from the renowned authors of self help books Gary and Joy Lundberg:

"Lin Vernon Floyd's workbook Discover Your Voice After Divorce is excellent. Her personal experience has laid a solid foundation to write this helpful book. It's a thoughtfully prepared guide for others going through this same painful journey. Readers will discover the way to help put their lives back together and find peace and happiness.  We highly recommend it."

---Gary Lundberg, MA MFT, and Joy Lundberg, coauthors of "I Don't Have to Make Everything All Better" and "Love That Lasts"


List of previous books if any:
1. LOOKING BACK AT THE GOOD OLD DAYS
2. NATURE NOTES FOR KIDS-collection of poetry for youth
3. FAMILY HOME EVENINGS FOR EMPTY NESTERS
4. FIND YOUR VOICE: WRITE YOUR LIFE STORY
5. DISCOVER YOUR VOICE AFTER DIVORCE: WRITING WORKBOOK FOR HEALING AND RECOVERY
 
Any websites/places we can find you on the web?

 DIVORCE HEALING BOOK AVAILABLE NOW

No comments:

Post a Comment