Sunday, October 13, 2013

St. George Book Festival Author Interview with J.L. Adams



J.L. Adams has enjoyed reading and writing fantasy since the third grade when he began writing short stories. He lives in St. George, Utah, with his wife, Rebecca, and their dog, Toby. When he’s not reading and writing, he enjoys hiking and watching movies. Flames of Alnara is his first published novel.

What are three words that describe you?
Creative, Shy, Curious

Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Morning person; definitely a morning person

What is your favorite food?
Chinese and American

Where do you dream of travelling to and why?
New Zealand. I want to explore the lands of Middle Earth.

Do you listen to music while writing?
I occasionally listen to classical or new age music that helps to stimulate creative thought.

What's your favorite book or who is your favorite writer?
That is a difficult question to answer. There are a number of books and authors that are my favorite. My favorite authors include JK Rowling, C.S. Lewis, Robert Marcum, Gerald N. Lund; but if I had to choose, I’d say Lord of the Rings is my favorite book series.

Can you tell us a bit about your latest manuscript?
I am currently working on book 2 of the Alnara series. It is tentatively titled: Crossroads of Alnara. The story continues with Talen and Mr. Govun seeking out the others who have received the Mark; and facing Kogan and his efforts to conquer the world.

What have you learned about writing and publishing since you first started?
It is more difficult and more rewarding than I ever imagined.

Do you plan everything or just let the story flow?
I do a little of both. I establish and re-establish a foundation for the story then let the finer details flow from there.

Do your characters ever want to take over the story? 
That was one of the surprising things that happened while I was writing Flames of Alnara. There were many times when I wanted something in particular to happen to a character, but the character said otherwise. It was as if the characters were telling me what to write about.

Is there anything you would do differently?
When I decided to self-publish, I and some trusted critical readers did so many edits that I didn’t think it was necessary to have Flames professionally edited. Since its publication, a number of readers have found errors that I am embarrassed to have missed. If I could go back, I would have a professional edit the manuscript.

Who, or what, if anything has influenced your writing?
I have studied the writings of my favorite writers and attempted to emulate the formulas they used to create a successful novel series. I do my best to write original stories, but also in the basic structure of those who have found success.

Anything you would say to those just starting out in the craft?
Keep writing. Even if you think your work is terrible, keep writing and re-writing. Every time you go back through your story, you will find better ways to tell the story. Also, have a few family members, friends, or even acquaintances, who you can trust will give you honest feedback, read your work. I often didn’t think my work was any good, but my readers did. Their positive feedback often kept me going when I wanted to quit.

Blurb of your latest release or coming soon publication if any:
Crossroads of Alnara is still a ways out, but I am very excited about how the story is continuing. Talen is going to face new challenges and adventures that will put to the test everything he accomplished in Flames of Alnara. There are also new characters coming that will open a whole new side of Alnara that I hope will be very intriguing.

List of previous books if any:
My only published work currently available is Flames of Alnara.

Any websites/places we can find you on the web?
You can find me on facebook.com/flamesofalnara – and flamesofalnara.com. You can read reviews from readers at goodreads.com and amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment